Anthem STR Stereo Amplifier (Black)
Powerful Amplifier, 200 Watts 8 Ohms, 400 Watts 4 Ohms
Built-In Hi-Res DAC, Optical, Coaxial, AES/EBU & USB Digital Inputs
Proprietary Anthem ARC Room Correction
Dual Subwoofer Outputs, Balanced XLR Inputs
The revolutionary Anthem STR Amplifier is based on an entirely new technological platform, for true benchmark performance in stereo amplification. The STR Integrated has more power, more control, more connection options, and the most advanced technology available in a single, easy-to-use component. And the new look is clean and modern with a substantial air befitting its flagship status.
About The Anthem STR Stereo Integrated Amplifier
Designed, engineered, and Crafted in Canada, the STR Amplifier combines the benefits of an advanced preamp with the power of a massive amplifier and processor. It includes a leading-edge DAC, onboard Anthem Room Correction (ARC), customisable bass manager for mono or stereo sub outs, MM and MC phono inputs and balanced and single ended connections. And it includes new generations of many of Anthem’s award-winning, audiophile-loving, review-praised digital signal processing innovations, delivering a noticeably higher level of audio performance realism. This is the integrated amplifier with the power, features, connections and control to fuel your two-channel dreams, today and into tomorrow.
More Subwoofer Options: STR Amplifier gives you more options for subwoofer configuration. Use one or two mono subwoofers, or two independent right-and-left channel specific subwoofers. The bass management in conjunction with ARC is uniquely engineered for seamless subwoofer blending, achieving an incredibly accurate and lifelike performance.
More Attention to Detail: We believe that two-channel listening demands attention to detail. A component must balance extreme power and delicate transparency, with flawless signal integrity being the benchmark of stereo performance. To that ultimate end, the Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier is designed with the shortest possible signal paths, and differential analogue to digital circuitry to cancel artefacts and keep noise to a minimum.
More Power, From Oversized Toroidal Transformers: Clarity is maintained using carefully selected components, many of them engineered exclusively in-house at Anthem, like the huge, precision-wound toroidal transformers and their matching oversized filter capacitors. This massive power supply operates in harmony with the high-current, high-output amplifier section to produce an astounding 550W per channel continuously into 2 ohms! Peak production is effortless and instantaneous, even when reproducing the most challenging material. The use of multiple bipolar output devices dramatically reduces distortion while ensuring extreme linearity, extensive bandwidth, and stress-free reliability.
Moving Magnet & Moving Coil Cartridge Input: Anthem has also taken into consideration the resurgent popularity of vinyl long-playing records, and has included separate inputs for moving magnet and moving coil cartridges, with the phono section completely shielded to maintain signal purity. The transparency and refinement of the STR Amplifier reveals the musical magic hidden on all your precious black discs.
More Innovative Electronics: No less important is Anthem’s non-invasive Advanced Load Monitoring (ALM) circuitry, which protects the output section of the STR Amplifier by constantly monitoring temperature, current and voltage to ensure optimum long-term performance.
Bold, Contemporary Design: Aside from its cutting-edge technology and Anthem-exclusive innovations, one look tells you that the STR is a different amplifier animal altogether. The large Thin Film Transistor (TFT) display on the front panel can be seen from across the room, and gives you surprisingly easy control over your whole system. It’s a part of the luxurious new industrial design of the STR Integrated Amplifier, a striking look that’s available in two beautiful finishes, Black or Silver.
Conversion from Digital to Analogue: The STR Amplifier includes a high-resolution digital section, with support for asynchronous USB up to 32-bit/384 kHz PCM and DSD 2.8/5.6 MHz sources. This high-quality USB audio input transforms digitally stored audio from your Windows or Mac computer into warm, natural analogue sound. Of course the high quality built-in DAC makes sure you are well taken care of with two Toslink Optical, two Coaxial Digital and even an AES/EBU balanced digital connection to choose from.
Massive Toroidal Power Supplies: The STR Amplifier delivers incredible dynamics thanks to a massive, conservatively rated (and “audiophile approved”) power supply, designed with high rail voltages. The advanced-generation toroidal power transformer minimizes stray magnetic field radiation and ensures ultra-quiet performance. The resulting power is pure, clean, low-noise; capable of effortlessly and instantly reproducing the full dynamics of even the most complex audio recordings.
Hand-Built Quality Components: Anthem STR Amplifiers are designed, engineered, and Crafted in Canada. From the idea stage to the final manufacturing specs, Anthem have complete control over the whole intricate process. They take pride in this personal attention to detail, and use only the highest quality components, many designed and engineered in-house, in each new STR Amplifier Anthem hand-build for your enjoyment.
Audiophile Binding Posts Big power demands big connections, and Anthem’s custom-designed oversized five-way binding posts give you the flexibility you need for even large-gauge bare-wire connections. Insulated, non-conductive, color-coded jackets make easy, fast, and solid connections with no interference or ghosting.
Performance That’s Rock Solid: Anthem amplifiers go where other amplifiers fear to tread, with a well-earned reputation for being incredibly stable under difficult, low-impedance speaker loads. Short path design, superior DAC, and redundant systems (with Advanced Load Monitoring and other exclusive protective technologies) ensure that peaks are surmounted effortlessly, and guarantee a long life of high performance.
Anthem Room Correction (ARC): Anthem Room Correction is a proprietary digital signal processing system that allows you to quickly and accurately optimize the performance of your audio equipment to better suit the unique parameters of your room. By listening to your room’s acoustic signature, ARC can tune your equipment to correct for the performance-robbing effects (reflections, resonances, standing waves, etc.) of the various surfaces and other obstacles in your room. You’ll actually hear the difference ARC makes.
ARC is easy to use, and just a few simple steps can optimize your speakers for your unique listening space. ARC is one of the most accurate and detailed digital room correction technologies available today. ARC will also work in the future too with constant advances and updates available for download on the Anthem website.
The Crafted in Canada Difference: The STR Amplifier is designed, engineered and manufactured in Canada and is part of premium STR Series by Anthem, the leader in audio power and control.
Anthem is truly an iconic A/V brand with headquarters based in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Anthem has a strong history of excellence and a commitment to the industry spanning back into the last century when the company was known as Sonic Frontiers Inc., and was a highly respected Ontario-based high-end audio component manufacturer of Anthem and Sonic Frontiers brands. In 1998, the Sonic Frontiers group, which included Anthem, was purchased by Jerry VanderMarel and Scott Bagby - the founders of Paradigm Speakers. This has proved to be a very smart move as it delivered a complete "Made In Canada" experience and founder Scott Bagby is still steering both brands which we at Audio Trends are delighted to support.
Today, Anthem is a premium manufacturer of AV receivers, amplifiers and processors. The Advanced Research Centre in Ottawa, Canada, is responsible for amplifier designs, audio and video circuit boards and programming code for subwoofer DSP processors. The Ottawa team also develops on-going software updates. The assembly of circuit boards for Anthem components takes place at the Mississauga, Ontario, facility. Since the surface-mount electronic components are very small, the insertion and soldering of these components is completely automated. All Anthem components and nearly 90 percent of Paradigm speakers are manufactured locally at this facility.
Note: In 2021 Anthem was the No. 1 brand of home theatre preamps/processors, with a 30% market share in North America and is the No. 4 AV Receiver brand with a 31% market share. Truly awesome and there is no reason why this success will not continue.
Our Take On The Anthem STR Stereo Amplifier
‘Absolute Control’ are the words that spring to mind when talking about the Anthem STR integrated amplifier. It has a finely finessed preamp that is quiet and accurate, it employs top shelf DACs with Hi-Res playback, massive power supplies and multiple output transistors for big watts and total control over your speakers and if that wasn’t already enough it has Anthem’s proprietary ARC room correction to makes sure nothing interferes with the excellence of your music reproduction. It also has a reassuring, hewn from granite, appearance with great front panel screen clarity and ease of use. All-in-all, if you like your amplifiers to be completely no nonsense and totally down to business, the Anthem STR Integrated Amplifier could be exactly what you are looking for. Approach with respect, listen with pleasure.
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: High Performance Amplifier with DAC & ARC Room Correction
- High-resolution preamplifier section
- High current, high output amplifier section
- Amplifier uses 8 bipolar output devices per channel, a toroidal transformer power supply, and Advanced Load Monitoring for 200W at 8 ohms, 400W at 4 ohms, 550W at 2 ohms, all continuous
- Anthem Room Correction (ARC) optimizes in-room response for perfect sound in any environment
- Bass management for two subwoofers, in mono or stereo
- Up-sampling of lower-resolution sources to 32-bit/192kHz
- S/PDIF coaxial and optical, and balanced AES/EBU inputs
- Asynchronous USB Audio Input supports 32-bit/384kHz PCM, and DSD 2.8 / 5.6 MHz sources
- MM and MC phono, balanced XLR, and single-ended analogue inputs
- Analogue Direct mode
- Graphic Front Panel Display for easy setup and navigation
- Controllable via Ethernet, RS-232, or supplied IR remote
- Detachable Power Cable: Improve the sound by upgrading to an Isotek power cable. Browse your upgrade options here
- Available in Silver and Black Finishes
- Crafted in Canada
- Input Impedance: 100 Ω (MC), 47 kΩ (MM)
- Input Capacitance: 270 pF (MM)
- Maximum Input (at 1 kHz for <0.1% THD 20 Hz - 20 kHz): 3.6 mV (MC), 37.7 mV (MM)
- Gain (default at 1 kHz, user adjustable ± 20 dB): 55 dB (MC), 35 dB (MM)
- RIAA Response: ± 0.1 dB (20 Hz to 20 kHz)
- THD+N (at 1 kHz, 20 Hz - 20 kHz BW, 2 Vrms output): 0.008% (MC), 0.005% (MM)
- S/N Ratio (at 1 kHz, IEC-A, 2 Vrms output): 82 dB (MC), 96 dB (MM)
- Frequency Response
- Digital-in, 192 kHz: 10 Hz - 50 kHz (+0.00, -0.50 dB)
- Digital-in, 96 kHz: 10 Hz - 45 kHz (+0.00, -0.50 dB)
- Digital-in, 44.1 kHz: 10 Hz - 20 kHz (+0.00, -0.03 dB)
- Analogue-in, DSP mode: 10 Hz - 40 kHz (+0.02, -0.20 dB)
- Analogue-in, direct mode: 10 Hz - 80 kHz (+0.00, -0.10 dB)
- THD+N (at 1 kHz, 20 Hz - 20 kHz BW, 2 Vrms output)
- Digital-in, 44.1 kHz, 0 dBFS: 0.0008%
- Analogue-in, DSP mode, 1 Vrms input: 0.001%
- Analogue-in, direct mode, 1 Vrms input: 0.0020%
- SNR (at 1 kHz, IEC-A, 2 Vrms output)
- Digital-in, 44.1 kHz, 0 dBFS: 112 dB
- Analogue-in, DSP mode, 2 Vrms input: 110 dB
- Analogue-in, direct mode, 2 Vrms input: 120 dB
- Maximum Output (<0.1% THD): 2.2 Vrms except analogue-direct 3.3 Vrms
- XLR Configuration: Pin 1: Ground, Pin 2: Normal, Pin 3: Inverted
- Power Output (per channel) (continuous, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, <1% THD)
- 200 Watts into 8Ω
- 400 Watts into 4Ω
- 550 Watts into 2Ω
- THD (100 W): 0.002% (1 kHz), 0.015% (20 kHz)
- IMD (100 W)
- ITU-R (19 kHz + 20 kHz): 0.0007%
- SMPTE (60 Hz + 7 kHz): 0.005%
- SNR (IEC-A, ref. 200 W): 114 dB
- Frequency Response (20 Hz - 20 kHz): ± 0.1 dB
- Power Bandwidth (-3 dB at 200 W into 8 ohms): 80 kHz
- Slew Rate: 30 V/μs
- Damping Factor (20 Hz - 1 kHz): 330
- Channel Separation: 101 dB (100 Hz), 61 dB (10 kHz)
- Power Consumption
- Standby: 0.45 Watts
- Standby + Network: 1.2 Watts
- Idle: 40 Watts
- Typical Use: 250 Watts
- High Output: 500 Watts
- Finishes: Black or Silver
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 432 x 172 x 445mm
- Weight: 18 kg
- Manufacturer’s Warranty: 3 Years
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE