Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 DAC (Silver)
Latest-Generation Wolfson Microelectronics 8742 24-Bit Digital-To-Analogue Converter.
Asynchronous USB Technology For Reduced Timing Jitter And Better Sound With Computer Audio.
Optical, Coaxial And USB (Type B) Inputs; RCA Audio Output
The purpose behind the DacMagic 100 is simple: to make your music sound better, whatever the digital source. For this reason, the DacMagic 100 will work with pretty much any digital music source you have.
About Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 DAC
Whatever the digital source, the DacMagic 100 will make your music sound better. Simply plug in your iPod dock, Blu-ray, DVD, TV or CD player via optical or coaxial connections and enjoy audio quality that's way ahead of what you might expect. There's also a USB connection for your computer, laptop or tablet. It also supports 24-bit/192kHz transfer for "better than CD quality" via USB. This means that music files stored on your PC, laptop, tablet or hard drive in top 24/192 quality can be streamed, uncompressed, through the DacMagic 100 and enhanced by its Digital to Analogue Conversion. Simply connect the DacMagic 100 to your existing Hi-Fi's AUX input and you're good to go.
Class Leading Sound Quality: Whatever your music source, you'll enjoy genuine hi-fi quality sound by using the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100. A Wolfson WM8742 24-bit DAC is teamed up with Cambridge Audio's wealth of digital engineering knowledge to create a sound that's vibrant, detailed and remarkably free from jitter. Jitter is especially prevalent on music sent via network devices or hard drives and can give the sound a harsh and unnatural quality.
Asynchronous USB Means Better Sound From Your Computer: Standard USB outputs from most computers pose a serious limitation to sound quality. That's because while you're trying to listen to music, your PC is busy performing virus scans, data backup, and other background tasks that may take priority over your tunes, causing it to alter the data rate to suit its own needs. Unfortunately, this situation results in timing errors within the digital data stream — known as "jitter" — that adversely affects sound quality. Jitter can make your music sound harsh and edgy, and smear subtle details.
The DacMagic 100 solves this problem by reaching out to your computer through the USB interface, and instructing it to relinquish control of the data stream timing. In its place, this advanced DAC inserts its own separate, or asynchronous, clock to precisely control the timing of the data rate, reducing jitter to the vanishing point. You'll hear a stunning improvement in low-level ambient detail along with a wider, deeper soundstage.
- A Compact Component - Well Connected: The DacMagic 100 is very neat and easy to find shelf space for. Yet, despite this, it still offers no fewer than three digital inputs. There are two coaxial inputs and a single optical one, all switchable from the front. Add to this the USB input and gold-plated analogue RCA outputs for connecting to your hi-fi and the DacMagic 100 has every angle covered. DacMagic 100 lets you connect multiple digital source components to your home audio or desktop system:
- Two Coaxial Digital Inputs: ideal for connecting a CD or DVD player, Logitech Squeezebox™ Touch, Sonos® Connect, or any other digital audio component with coax out, and taking advantage of the DacMagic 100's high-performance processor for better sound.
- One Optical Digital Input: ready to take on a set-top box, most HDTVs, a game console, or other digital audio sources with optical digital output, and feed a high-quality audio signal into your stereo system.
- One Type B USB Jack: This feeds digital audio from your computer into the DacMagic 100's onboard digital-to-analogue converter, bypassing your computer's sound card to yield much clearer sound with stored music files and Internet radio.
- RCA Outputs: A pair of gold-plated RCA outputs lets you connect the DacMagic 100 to your home audio system's receiver or integrated amp. Or feed a set of powered speakers for a high-end, compact desktop stereo.
Audiophile quality sound from your digital sources without having to spend a fortune? Better value than ever but with the same class-leading performance, the Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 is a true audio bargain. Note, the price does not include any type of connecting cables. These are sold separately.
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: Digital to Analogue Converter featuring S/PDIF and Toslink digital inputs and USB audio input (all 24 bit compatible)
- DAC: Wolfson WM8742 24bit DAC
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz (±0.1 dB)
- THD: < 0.0025%
- S/N Ratio: 113dB
- USB 1.0 Input: 24-bit/96kHz driverless USB Audio 1.0 input
- USB 2.0 Input: 24-bit/192kHz USB Audio 2.0 input with ASIO or kernel streaming modes
- Supported Sample Rates As Follows:
- USB: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, and 96kHz (24-bit/192kHz supported with downloaded USB driver and WASAPI, ASIO, or kernel streaming modes)
- Optical: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, and 192kHz
- Coaxial: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, and 192kHz
- USB Transfer: Asynchronous USB transfer for very low jitter USB Audio input allowing streaming of up to 24-bit/192kHz audio from computer
- USB Audio Input: Allows the DacMagic 100 to act as a high quality DAC/soundcard for your computer
- Mac OSX 10.5 or Later: Supports 24-bit/192kHz USB output natively, so no dedicated driver is required
- Audio Output: RCA audio output
- Case: Full metal casework design with thick brushed aluminium front panel
- Power Input: 12 Volt DC Power pack (supplied)
- Power Consumption: 5 Watts
- Available Colours: Black; Silver
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 106 x 46 x 130mm
- Nett Weight: 500 grams
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 Years