Cambridge AXR85 Receiver; Richter Merlin Speakers
Cambridge Audio components and Richter speakers are seriously good when combined and this is another classic combination. Excitingly warm but lively sound that will delight all age groups and most music genre.
Comes supplied with QED speaker cable
Choosing a new stereo system can be tricky. However, back in 1980 when Audio Trends was born, this is all we did! Of course the audio scene has grown significantly since then, but we still sell a lot of straight stereo gear. Our systems are all based on a simple philosophy. (1) Do they sound good; (2) are they good quality and (3) are they good value for money? We invite you to check out our various system combinations; come in for a demo or call our friendly and experienced staff to discuss more.
Cambridge are known for their beautiful Hi-Fi components and there is no exception with the AX Series which pairs high quality with outstanding value for money and is the perfect way for the Hi-Fi curious to build their first stacking separates system. Taking design cues from Cambridge's award-winning Edge and CX ranges, Cambridge have designed the AX Series components to be a straightforward introduction to Great British Sound. However, we've come back to the 'great southern land' - one of our favourite Icehouse songs - and teamed up the Cambridge AXR85 stereo receiver and AXC25 CD Player with a pair of Aussie designed Richter Merlin S6 compact speakers - at least Australia is another Commonwealth country - and QED 79 Strand cable which both it and the Deltron banana plugs we fit are actually made in England! Let's take a closer look.
Cambridge Receiver and CD Player
The Cambridge Audio AXR85 stereo receiver forms the heart of this mid level system and delivers performance way above its price point. With a very impressive 85 Watts per channel output, it has enough grunt to fill larger rooms with clean, effortless sound. Twin speaker outlets mean you can have a pair of speakers in another room or spread four speakers around a large, open-plan space. The speaker connections are substantial binding posts so thicker gauge wire can be accommodated. There are four separate stereo line level connections for connecting the CD player and any other components you own now or will maybe buy sometime in the future. There is also a dedicated phono input for a turntable, as well as a convenient 3.5mm input on the front panel for smartphones. A full size headphone socket provides the sonic goods while tone controls help tailor the sound to your liking. With Bluetooth built-in, streaming music from your smartphone, tablet or laptop is just a click away. Pair with your device and effortlessly stream your stored music and popular music streaming services such as Spotify, Deezer and Apple Music. Covering all the bases, the Cambridge Audio AXR85 also features a built-in FM/AM radio tuner and with 30 presets, you can quickly call up all your favourite stations - please note radio reception is not available in all areas. With a white display screen, this sleek looking amplifier is housed in a substantial chassis which sports a stylish thick grey brushed aluminium front panel which looks great in any interior and it comes with...another remote control!
Let's face it, you've probably got 100's or even 1000's of CDs! These still offer a high level of performance and way above MP3 - the basic standard on streaming services. The AXC25 is the entry level CD Player in the Cambridge range which naturally has all the essentials a good disc player needs. The Cambridge AXC25 is a super-cool and versatile CD player with gapless playback and featuring a high quality digital to analogue converter (DAC), to convert the digital information stored on a CD into an analogue sound signal. As well as regular audio CDs, the AXC25 will play MP3 and WMA files from home recorded CD-R, CD-RW and CD-ROM discs. There's also a dedicated digital output which allows you to record from a CD to a digital format or even connect to a standalone DAC when you're ready to improve your sound even further. With a multi-function display screen, this sleek looking CD Player is housed in a substantial chassis which sports a stylish thick grey front panel which looks great in any interior.
Richter Merlin Speakers
The Richter Merlin Series 6 is the latest stand mount speaker from Australia's most successful speaker brand. Like its bigger brother, the Wizard Series 6, it is a great sounding speaker that handles all sorts of music in an impressively bold way that belies its smaller size. It shares similar design aesthetics to the Wizard as well which makes it the perfect choice to blend in with all types of modern and classic interiors.
Richter’s Merlin S6 has big shoes to fill as the previous Merlin was consistently one of our best sounding and best-selling speakers under $1,000. So Richter has risen to the challenge and really moved the game forward with this new Merlin S6 and made it all about the music – the sheer magic of your favourite listening delivered in astounding stereo high fidelity. These improved levels of musicality are thanks to some very thorough design overhauls from the Series V Merlin.
A brand new, much improved cabinet with its beautiful rounded trapezoid shape is a large part of the upgrade but it’s the newly developed drivers that are the real stars of the show. A new 165mm (6 ½”) lightweight but extremely stiff coated paper Mid/Bass driver was specifically developed for the Series 6 Range and it is probably the best drive unit used in any speaker up to twice the Merlin’s very reasonable price. And it combines beautifully with the new ultra-low distortion soft dome Tweeter which has a clear and effortlessly airy sound that stretches all the way to an amazing 30kHz!
The great attention paid in the development of these new propriety drivers allowed chief designer, Dr Martin Gosnell, the opportunity to create magic with a brand new crossover design using high quality acoustic polypropylene caps, air cored and ferrite core inductors as well as a huge laminated core inductor feeding the mid/bass driver on the new Merlin S6.
The improved crossover not only lets the drivers sing with one voice but also results in the Series 6 delivering much improved efficiency making them easier to drive even when powered by more modest amplifiers or digital streaming solutions like the popular Sonos Amp. Staying true to the comment of Ralph Waters, the brands founder ‘I’m not in the audiophile industry, I’m in the entertainment industry,’ Series 6 has been designed to be an exciting engaging entertainment experience to make you want to start digging through that record and CD collection or start scrolling through your favourite music streaming service.
Note: Richter recommend you connect an amplifier/receiver in the 20 Watts to 150 Watts per channel output. So what's the deal with the Cambridge AXR85 which is rated at a maximum 85 Watts per channel and almost in the middle? The first thing to note is that these are at the extreme ends of the spectrum. The second is that it is distortion that kills speakers and this happens when either product is driven past its maximum. The advantage of a more powerful amplifier is that it can deliver, clean undistorted power to the speakers with ease. You don't need to push the amplifier hard to get good results and this is better than having an amplifier that is either the same or lower output than the speakers maximum power handling. However, we deem it unlikely that Richter Merlin's would ever be teamed up with anything much over 100 Watts so the Cambridge AXR85 is right on the money so to speak and in a small to medium room, both amp and speakers operated sensibly will give a really good performance. The last point has to do with the SPL specification. To deliver good bass, the Richter Merlins have an 88dB SPL and this requires a 'high-current' amplifier design or put simply, something like the Cambridge AXR85. Need to know more? Then call us on (03) 9874 8233.
About Richter: The Richter design team is headed up by Dr. Martin Gosnell BE (Hons) PhD who has worked with Richter since approx. 2000. Together with the experience of audiophile owner Brian Rodgers, Richter has really set a new benchmark in Australian stand mount speaker design. You could pay a whole lot more for an international brand name and get not only an inferior product, but one that doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the Series 6 Merlin. The Merlins will also please your eyes with their classic yet contemporary looks – perfect for your hi-fi stereo requirements, without breaking even your piggy bank. Please do not underestimate Richter speakers! They are world-class or better. But, do yourself a favour - compare and listen!
Pre-Terminated Speaker Cable Included: Yes, this system is truly complete. The QED brand has been sold world-wide for over 40 years. In fact they started around about the same time we did. Audio Trends has probably sold enough 79 strand cable to go to the moon and back - well it seems that way! It is a really good quality cable with fairly neutral sound character and at a reasonable price. To make it easy to connect to the amplifier and speakers, our service department solders Deltron banana plugs to all ends making the system truly plug-n-play
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: Complete 2.0 System including AM/FM stereo receiver; CD player; speakers and cables
- Receiver: Cambridge Audio AXR85 stereo receiver
- Power Output: 2 x 85 Watts (into 8 Ohms)
- Frequency response (-3dB): 5Hz - 50kHz
- Bass/Treble controls: Boost/cut +/- 10dB @ 100Hz and 10kHz
- Phono Input: Yes. Accepts MM (Moving Magnet) Cartridge
- Line-Level Inputs: 3 x stereo pair RCA
- Line-Level Outputs: 1 x stereo pair RCA
- Subwoofer Output: Yes
- Headphone Jack: Full size 6.35mm
- Speaker Wire Terminals: Accept bare wire or banana plugs - included
- A+B Speakers: Yes
- AM/FM Tuner: Yes, with presets. Basic dipole antenna included.
- Note: Radio reception is subject to a lot of variables and we cannot guarantee reception quality. If needed, call us to discuss further
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 83 x 335mm
- CD Player: Cambridge Audio AXC25 single disc CD player
- Files: Support for CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM discs & MP3 and WMA files
- DAC: Wolfson Microelectronics WM8524 DAC
- S/PDIF Output Impedance: <75 ohms
- Gapless Playback: Yes
- Frequency Response (+/-0.4dB): 20Hz - 20kHz
- Cables: Includes a pair of RCA Cables to connect to the receiver
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 75 x 305mm
- Richter Merlin - can be set up on shelves or speaker stands (sold separately - see below for recommendations)
- Design: Compact 2-way; 2-driver
- Enclosure Type: Bass reflex
- Rear Port: The rear port enhances bass extension.
- foam bung also supplied for bass tuning purposes especially when placed near a wall
- Frequency Response: (-6dB) 44Hz-30KHz
- Recommended Amplifier Power (Home Theatre): 50 – 100 Watts RMS
- Recommended Amplifier Power (2 Channel): 20 – 150 Watts RMS
- must be 'clean' power - see above for more info
- Bass/Mid Driver: 1 x 165mm (6.5")
- Cone: Light weight composite paper cone
- Tweeter: 1 x 25mm (1") soft dome neo
- Crossover: Polypropylene capacitors
- Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms (minimum 4.6 Ohms)
- Sensitivity/SPL: 88dB
- Cabinets: Sturdy 18mm MDF enclosures
- Grille Covers: Magnetic type and easily removable.
- Speaker Accessories: Rubber Feet Included
- Speaker Wire Terminals: Will accept bare wire and banana plugs (included)
- Bi-Wire Capability: No
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 219 x 320 x 289mm (Including 9mm grille)
- Finish/Colour: Matte Black. Also available in imitation Walnut
- Net Weight: 6.3 Kg each
- Speaker Cable: 2 x 3 metre QED 79 Strand speaker cable
- Banana Plugs: All speaker cable ends will be terminated with high-quality Deltron UK banana plugs
- Delivery: Free Delivery
- Manufacturer's Warranty: Cambridge Components 2 Years; Richter Speakers 5 Years - not including misuse.
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE