Marantz HD-AMP1 Stereo Amplifier (Silver)
Very Sophisticated High Performance Design
Includes HDAM-SA2 Circuit For Detailed Audio Reproduction And Marantz Musical Digital Filtering
Optical, Coaxial and USB type B Digital Inputs
Welcome to the world of compact analogue and digital ecstasy. If you're like us then you'll love the warm, detailed sound of Marantz amplifiers. But a full-size Marantz amp may not always be right for every room. If your system is going in a small room, or home office something a bit smaller like the Marantz HD-AMP1 could be the go. This compact integrated amplifier delivers the powerful, dynamic punch that Marantz amps are famous for, but in a more space-saving size.
A Closer Look
The Marantz HD-AMP1 is a High-Class compact amplifier, with superb, elegant, classic looks. But don’t let that misguide you, its advanced switching amplifier technology blasts out an ear-splitting 70 Watts at 4 Ohms, while its dual crystal clock and discrete DAC post filter with Marant HDAM-SA2 modules make standard counted sound feel as incredible as high-resolution audio. This stereo amplifier also gives you the unique Marantz Musical Digital Filtering (MMDF), with two selectable filter characteristics to cater for different tastes and music. Each handles even the minutest of detail with loving care within the digital audio signal.
As today’s new media not only comes in 44.1kHz/16 bit resolution – similar to the CD format, Marantz developed the digital section to handle signals of up to 384kHz/32bit resolution and DSD 2.8MHz / 5.6MHz / 11.2MHz. Optical and coaxial digital inputs are ready to connect a TV or set-top box, and there is a USB-B port to stream music directly from your PC or MAC. iDevices can also be connected via the USB port on the front. To safeguard quality when connected to a computer, they built extended isolation around the USB-B input to eliminate the chance of high frequency noise generated by the computer entering the HD-AMP1. Information on volume, input, resolution, and more is shown on the stylish Marantz Porthole Display. While the solid aluminium front is supported by a double layer bottom plate and retro-style side panels.
Marantz MusicLink Series: Marantz again amplifies its dedication to pure musical performance with the rebirth of MusicLink, a product series launched in 1990 with the focus on reproducing the music essentials from small-size, rarely-seen design components. The aim is simple: to bring the listener all the emotion and musical detail of the original sound studio, combined with an elegant appearance and luxuriant feel. It is not a coincidence that the creator of the delightful new MusicLink Series is once again Ken Ishiwata.
Audiophile D/A Converter: Don’t get misguided by the compact form factor. The HD-AMP1 delivers 2x 70 W into 4 Ohms, playfully handling even demanding music parts thanks to an ultra-stable power supply and Marantz own Current Feedback technology. The Dual Crystal Clock and a discrete DAC post filter with the company’s highly-acclaimed HDAM pre-amplifier modules make standard counted sound feel as incredible as high-resolution audio. A high-current audiophile SABRE D/A-Converter with no less than 384kHz/32bit processing capability is able to reproduce even the smallest details with ease.
Digital Filtering: The HD-AMP1 features the unique Marantz Musical Digital Filtering (MMDF), inspired by audiophile reference class technology. For Marantz, using standard digital filter solutions is not an option, as this filtering is crucial to the sound reproduction of digital input signals. As a result, the company invested extensively in gaining expert knowledge, leading into highly-acclaimed Marantz Music Mastering technology used in award-winning Premium Range 11 Series products. Adapted for the HD-AMP1 hardware design, the new solution is called Marantz Musical Digital Filtering. Two selectable, digital filter characteristics cater for different tastes, and each handles even the minutest of detail with loving care in the digital audio signal, transforming new media files into the finest of high-resolution playback.
Special Switching Amplifier Concept: The HD-AMP1 is the first ever Marantz Hi-Fi product that incorporated the concept of a switching amplifier. Up to now, switching (Class-D) amplifiers did show certain limitations which made them not acceptable for demanding Marantz sound engineers to be used in a premium Hi-Fi product. Now, the HD-AMP1 combines the unique Marantz HDAM technologies, the switching amplifier concept and an overall feedback loop, to guarantee a consistent performance with a wide range of loudspeaker types. Compared to regular switching amplifier concepts, the HD-AMP1 does not take the feedback signal at the output of the amplifier module, but right after the LC filter stage. In case the feedback is taken before the LC filter, the connected speaker is not taken into consideration in the amplification process, hence the amplifier reacts very sensitive to the connected speaker, and performance varies. With a carefully designed switching amplifier and the feedback taken after the LC filter the impact of a connected speaker becomes very small. In addition the damping factor defined by the output impedance of the amp and the impedance of the connected speaker is less sensitive to the frequency as well. The high slew rate of the amplifier concept and the high quality LC Filter itself ensure a wide bandwidth and flat frequency response. All adds up to an extraordinary Hi-Fi performance in a compact form factor.
Excellent Connectivity: The HD-AMP1 not only builds on the famous Marantz sound, it is also highly connectable. Optical and coaxial digital inputs as well as a USB-B port enable you to stream music directly from a PC or MAC, or connect other digital sources. iDevices can also be connected via the USB port on the front. For even more connectivity, Marantz also included two analogue inputs. The USB-B works in asynchronous mode to support not only 384kHz/32bits high-resolution audio but also the DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz and even 11.2MHz formats for maximized performance and the most direct way to enjoy excellent quality. To safeguard quality when connected to a computer, Marantz built extended isolation around the USB-B input to eliminate the chance of high frequency noise generated by the computer entering the HD-AMP1.
High Quality Headphone Jack: For music lovers enjoying their favourite recording via headphone the HD-AMP1 features a high quality headphone stage with dedicated amplifier module HDAM-SA2. To work with a wider variety of headphones the gain factor can be changed from low to mid to high. By this it is possible to drive low to high impedance headphone without any problem.
European Styling: Without doubt, the HD-AMP1 is a feast for the ears. But it also looks good. The solid aluminum front is supported by a double layer bottom plate and side panels with retro-style wooden look. Information on volume, input, resolution, and more is shown on the stylish Marantz Porthole Display, clearly resembling the company’s renowned design. This is pure craftsmanship.
Dual-layer Chassis:The HD-AMP1 is housed in a dual-layer chassis featuring the addition of a bottom plate to the main chassis which suppresses any adverse effects of external vibration on sound quality. The feet of the chassis employ aluminum die-cast insulators to further absorb external vibration.
The Marantz HD-AMP1 offers a powerful yet sophisticated sound from modern and legacy sources in a beautiful small-format appeal. It accompanies the HD-DAC1 Headphone Amplifier with USB-DAC in the reborn Marantz MusicLink Series. The HD-AMP1 knows just how to deliver warm, dynamic sound to your speakers. The conservative 35 Watt stereo power rating only tells part of this story. Power is generated by a wide-bandwidth, audiophile Class D amplifier — a first-ever for a Marantz component amplifier — and voiced by Ken Ishiwata, Marantz's renowned audio designer. This efficient, cool-running design allows the HD-AMP1 to handle the heavy demands of 4 Ohm speakers as well as dynamic peaks in music without breaking a sweat. The output stage utilises current feedback circuitry — first developed by Marantz — to ensure clean playback with minimal distortion while driving both easy and difficult loads.
Main Features & Specifications
- Power Output: 35 Watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms (20-20kHz) at 0.1% THD
- 70 Watts x 2 channels into 4 ohms (20-20kHz) at 0.1% THD
- DAC: ESS SABRE DAC ES9010K2M and dual master clock crystals for wide bandwidth, high dynamic range, and low distortion
- back-panel USB port supports PCM digital audio sources up to 32-bit/384 kHz resolution, plus native support of Direct Stream Digital (DSD) files up to 11.2 MHz (DSD256) resolution
- Front-panel USB Input: Plays USB memory devices and iPod/iPhone
- compatible with MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, and WAV music files
- USB Technology: Synchronous USB technology with advanced noise isolation for reduced timing jitter and better sound on USB input
- Headphone Amplifier: Built-in high-performance headphone amplifier
- three-position gain switch optimises performance with low-, medium-, and high-impedance headphones
- Marantz HDAM (Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Module) and HDAM-SA2 Modules: Used in analog circuitry for faster signal transfer and better transient response
- Marantz Musical Digital Filtering Technology: Includes 2 user-selectable digital filter algorithms for tailoring the sound to your liking
- Front Panel: Vibration-resistant solid aluminum front panel and double-layer bottom plate
- Side-Panels: Simulated wood-grain side panels for a cool retro look
- Remote Control: Wireless remote included
- Rear-panel USB (Type B) port for connection to a computer
- Front-panel USB (Type A) port for connecting USB memory devices and iPod/iPhone
- Toslink Optical Digital Inputs: 2
- Coaxial Digital Input: 1
- Analogue Inputs: 2 stereo RCA
- Phono input — to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Subwoofer Output: RCA mono subwoofer output for connecting a powered subwoofer
- Headphone Jack: Full-size 1/4" headphone jack (compatible with headphones up to 600 Ohms impedance)
- Speaker Wire Terminals: Custom Marantz gold-plated solid brass speaker terminals
- RCA remote control input/output (for use with Marantz components with a compatible remote control in/out jack)
Other Info & Specs
- Amp Design: Cool-running, high-performance Class D amplifier
- USB Audio 2.0 driver required for high-resolution audio playback on Windows computers (free USB driver download available from the Marantz website)
- Frequency response (DSD mode, PCM sampling frequency: 192 kHz ): 2-50kHz (-3 dB)
- Frequency response (PCM sampling frequency: 44.1 kHz): 2-20kHz (-3 dB)
- Harmonic distortion: 0.05% (at 1kHz)
- Signal-to-noise Ratio: 105 dB
- Power Cable: Detachable AC power cable that can be upgraded
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 304 x 352 x 107mm
- Weight: 5.8kg
- Note: If connecting to a TV, please make sure you can select "PCM" output in your TV's audio menu. This DAC cannot decode multi-channel Dolby Digital signals.