ProJect Essential III Phono Turntable
Two Speed Low Vibration Manual Belt Drive Turntable With One-Piece Rigid Tonearm
Built-In Phono Stage, Super Easy Setup
Pre-Installed Ortofon OM10 Cartridge
About The Pro-Ject Essential III Phono Turntable
The Pro-Ject Essential III Phono belt drive Turntable is superb in every area; design; sound quality and value for money. This is the latest release model featuring a factory fitted Ortofon cartridge and built-in phono stage.
Essential III offers a variety of enhancements compared to its successful predecessor, such as a diamond-cut aluminium drive pulley, a resonance-optimised MDF main platter and MDF chassis. The refined, high-precision platter bearing has significantly lower tolerances than Essential II. Essential III is the audiophile entry turntable!
Engineering: The Essential III Phono Turntable from Pro-Ject is a killer deal! Pro-Ject has really created something special with this turntable! It features: a low-tolerance, chrome plated, stainless-steel axle that runs on a polished bearing in a brass housing, decoupled from the motor to reduce vibrations; a great tonearm with a bearing that comprises inverted hardened stainless-steel points and sapphire thrust-pads; a silicone damped arm lift; and a high quality leads from the headshell to the RCA connectors. The headshell and arm tube are formed from a single work piece with a fixed headshell. The platter is made from mdf and is covered with a felt mat.
Getting It Going
The setup is relatively simple. Remove the transport lock from the tonearm. The cartridge is pre-mounted and aligned. The platter fits on the spindle. The belt runs around the outer edge of the platter, then over a top-mounted pulley and it is truly fast and simple to do. The dust cover slides onto pre-mounted hinges. Too easy. Adjusting the counterweight to properly balance the cartridge can be tricky but shouldn’t take more than a few minutes. Pro-Ject’s anti-skate system - a small weight suspended from a thread that needs to be looped over a notch on the tonearm - is also tricky but not impossible. For the finale, simply connect the included Phono RCA cable to the Phono output on the Turntable and any line level input on your amplifier or receiver. Note: Because this model has a built in phono stage you will need to be careful to plug it into a standard line level input. Do not plug it into a phono input as this will not end well.
Keep It Clean Mate! To get the best performance, your records need to be clean. Arguably the best device available - especially for the price - is the German designed and made - yes you read correctly - is the Knosti Record Cleaning Machine. This simple and clever design is easy to use and will remove most dust and grime from the grooves.
Our Take On The Pro-Ject Essential III Phono Turntable
The new Pro-Ject Essential III Phono has been designed to set new standards in this category for the coming decade – perfectly timed, as analogue today is again a respected source, while the demand for good turntables is growing again! The Essential III Phono sounds much better than its modest price would suggest. Equipped with the high-quality pickup OM10 by Danish cartridge pioneer Ortofon and a great little built-in phonoe stage, the Essential III Phono delivers lively, balanced and highly involving sound that will delight every vinyl lover. A solid turntable at a budget price-point and perfectly executed by Pro-Ject.
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: Manual Belt Drive Turntable with hydraulic lift.
- Speeds: Nominal speeds 33 / 45 (manual speed change).
- Speed variance: 0.7% (at 33-1/3 RPM), 0.6% (at 45 RPM)
- Cartridge: Ortofon OM-10 Moving Magnet cartridge pre-fitted.
- Tonearm: One-piece aluminium tonearm with sapphire bearings for superior rigidity and low resonance - adding stiffness and reducing resonance around the pick-up cartridge (rarely found on budget turntables, due to high production costs, but is on the Essential III)
- Phono Stage: Built-in MM phono stage designed to perfectly suit the Ortofon OM-10 Cartridge
- Base: Solid MDF base with shock absorbing feet
- Platter: Low-resonance 12" MDF platter with felt mat to protect records from scratches
- Lid: Hinged Lid/Dustcover.
- Output Jacks: Gold-plated RCA phono jacks.
- Leads: Basic detachable RCA lead is included.
- Motor: Integrated motor control with DC power supply for silent operation
- Motor decoupled from base for reduced vibration transmission and better sound.
- Wow & Flutter: 0.21%.
- Input Impedance: 47k ohms/100pf.
- Bearing: Precision stainless-steel bearing system for smooth, quiet platter rotation.
- Power Supply: 230V Power Supply
- Consumption: 16V/40mA AC
- Available Finishes: Gloss White & Gloss Black
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 103 x 330mm dustcover closed (plus cables)
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 350 x 395mm dustcover open. (approx)
- Gross Weight (Inc Packaging): 8kg
- Nett Weight: 5.1kg
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 Years
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE