ProJect X2 Turntable
The X2 Turntable Truly Focuses On Both Detail & Craftsmanship At What Really Is An Attractive Price.
Manufactured Entirely In Europe
Available Without Cartridge Or Fitted With Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge Or 2M Bronze Or Quintet Bronze Cartridges
About The The Pro-Ject X2 Turntable
The Pro-Ject X2 Turntable is the logical evolution of Pro-Ject’s X series. If you’re thinking about the Pro-Ject X1 but looking for the next step up in quality then this is where you should look. The X2 takes everything that makes the X1 great and takes it to the next level to give you even more enjoyment from your music.
In 1991 Pro-Ject started a revolution in Hi-Fi with the introduction of the Pro-Ject 1 turntable. A new high-end, low budget turntable at the time when CD was king. Against all odds, Pro-Ject were creating interest in analogue audio at a time when others were turning their backs, and the success was down to three critical philosophies:
- Simple, yet technically correct design
- High quality materials
- Fully handcrafted by expert engineers in Europe
This turntable design, with the underlying core philosophy and dedication to quality music performance, has all the high-end aspects built in that really take vinyl listening to the ultimate heights. But as is the way in hi-fi many people still wanted more. They were willing to invest more, because this is how much they fell in love with their newfound passion. It is hard to improve on such a well performing turntable, but there are ways to do it. It was not time to reinvent the wheel, because the core engineering on the P1, or now the X1, already was and still is perfect. Instead Pro-Ject improved on the existing technologies.
The X2 benefits from these advances:
- The raw materials used in production are of a much higher quality but also more difficult to source.
- The selected components are bigger, heavier, more massive and robust for improved performance and greater build quality.
Not many companies are willing to go this extra mile, because it is a hard step to take and, as always, cost vs. benefit needs to be carefully balanced. Making the wrong decisions can lead to diminishing returns fast.
Pro-Ject wanted the X2 to lift the incredibly high standards, set by its smaller brother the X1, to new heights. The X2 is made for those who take great joy in the fine details, the build-quality, the high-grade materials and even more audio performance.
More Mass In The Chassis, Platter & Tonearm: Structurally, the X2 is supported by its large, heavy, dense and stiff MDF structure, reducing unwanted resonances to almost imperceptible levels. By adding this extra mass, the X2 is quieter, allowing vinyl reproduction to become more detailed and precise. Inside, it houses a sophisticated DC/AC generator board which, combined with the convenient speed control board, delivers clean and stable power to the silent motor system. The tonearm is longer – 9“ in length – and the tube has a wider diameter and the carbon/aluminium sandwich construction results in better internal damping. This also means, the entire tonearm bearing has been upgraded to compensate for the extra mass which means tracking will be more precise, stable and accurate. The increased mass makes the tonearm an excellent fit for low compliance MC cartridges. The one-piece design avoids vibrations caused by detachable headshells and the TPE damped counterweight reduces arm-cartridge resonances by as much as 50%.
Precision Tuned Motor Isolation: A good motor by itself, is already very quiet. To get the best performance out of it, Pro-Ject have improved the motor suspension. This allows the motor to run stable and free from outside influences. Any remaining vibrations are damped and eliminated, so they are not transmitted onto the chassis, platter and cartridge. The X2‘s motor chassis is carefully balanced and suspended on a precision tuned TPE belt; this way the motor chassis is effectively decoupled from the main plinth for optimal performance. It is free floating, horizontally completely level and able to operate at the highest performance levels.
High-End Cartridge: The Pro-Ject X2 Turntable is designed to suit anyone who cares about how their vinyl sounds. Therefore it will support a truly high-end cartridge of your choice.
If you already own a suitable cartridge which you want to mount on the X2 then you can purchase the Pro-Ject X2 turntable without a cartridge. Alternatively, you can purchase the X2 with an Ortofon 2M Blue moving magnet cartridge or an Ortofon 2M Bronze moving magnet cartridge or an Ortofon Quintet Bronze moving coil cartridge fitted and aligned.
Better Audiophile Features: Full aluminium tonearm base instead of a cheap plastic flange for better and stiffer fixing to the chassis along with Azimuth and VTA adjustment.
Better Feet: Height adjustable, fully isolating Aluminium/TPE sandwich feet.
Better Cable: All Pro-Ject’s turntables come with a high-quality phono RCA cable. The Connect it E is a semi-balanced, low-capacitance cable, with superior shielding. Compared to other digital and analogue music sources, the signal coming from a turntable cartridge is very fragile in nature and cheap RCA cables often do not provide the ideal conditions for getting a phono signal to an amplifier. The Connect it E is purpose-designed for this exact application.
A Closer Look
The X2 design is carefully tuned to offer the most critical features for the best price and everything is put together with Pro-Ject‘s decades long experience in making the best-performing turntables without blowing the budget. The plinth is constructed from MDF which is 2-3 times more expensive than standard particle boards - not to mention those cheap plastic products from ASIA - and sounds and feels way better. Finish? The X2‘s luxury 8 layers of painting and the hand-polished finish are 3-4 times more expensive than simple foils which is commonly used and all this makes it look like you've invested in a superior product..
Under the plinth is a sophisticated DC/AC generator board which, combined with the convenient speed control board, delivers clean and stable power to the quiet-running motor. This adds additional costs, but performs many times better than a simple, direct powered AC motor. For even further improved performance, the motor is decoupled from the main plinth using a new motor suspension system. What can we say about the platter? In the X2, the motor drives a new, heavy, non-resonant Acrylic platter via a sub-platter drive system and a premium grade main bearing for liquid smooth rotation. This is the perfect platform on which to place your precious vinyl records, guaranteeing absolute reliability in its performance and sonic character...and yes, there is a felt mat included.
The X2 is also better than its predecessors thanks to the super-stiff, perfectly tempered Carbon/Aluminium sandwich construction tonearm. This 230mm or 9“ tonearm design is incredibly light and stiff, with improved resistance to external interference. Finished as a one-piece, with no resonance-inducing headshell, the X2 can also be set for azimuth and VTA adjustment, offering the flexibility that so many people want.
Our Take On The Pro-Ject X2 Turntable
The X2 has all the high-end features of modern turntable designs to maximise the music and listening experience. It is a statement and a counterpoint against other turntable designs, which go the way of offering more features but less performance. The X2 is carefully tuned to offer real audio-focused features for the best possible price. It is hand-assembled in Pro-Ject’s European factories using all the experience Pro-Ject has gained from decades of turntable manufacturing. Every effort has been made throughout to not cut corners on build quality or sonic ability and the end result is a highly engaging, musical turntable. The X2 proves that, since 1991, Pro-Ject’s essential core philosophies are those that guarantee to make music lovers happy with every new vinyl record they take for a spin. And I'll tell you this. When I left home in 1975, my first turntable was a Thorens TD-160 Super which was considered the 'bees knees' back then. It cost me 4 weeks wages (inc SME arm and 681EEE cartridge) and that was at cost! The X2 would have been a dream at the price. So, if you want superior performance and a price that won't break the bank, check out the X2 and maybe have a chat with our Audio Trends turntable experts.
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: Manual Belt Drive Turntable
- Cartridge Options
- No Cartridge fitted
- Ortofon 2M Blue Moving Magnet Cartridge fitted and aligned
- Ortofon 2M Bronze Moving Magnet Cartridge fitted and aligned
- Ortofon Quintet Bronze Moving Coil Cartridge fitted and aligned
- Speed: Electronic speed control with 33/45/78 rpm speed change, which acts as “Speed Box” with ultimate speed stability
- Speed variance: 33: +/-0.25%; 45: +/-0.20%
- Wow & flutter: 33: +/-0.12%; 45: +/-0.10%
- Motor: Electronically regulated precision motor with improved damping construction for the least amount of vibration and noise
- Sub-platter with extremely low 0.001mm bearing tolerances
- Main Bearing: Stainless steel platter-bearing with soft bronze bushing and teflon mirrors for lowest rumble and noise, and a stable, accurate speed transmission
- Tonearm Tube: 230mm (9”) one-piece tonearm tube with superlative internal damping care of the ultra-rigid carbon/aluminium sandwich construction
- Effective Tonearm Mass: 13.5 grams
- Counterweight: TPE damped counterweight reduces arm-cartridge resonances by 50%
- Azimuth and VTA adjustment
- Tracking force range: 0 - 30mN
- Platter: Resonance free, 2 kg heavy acryl platter
- Chassis: Heavy, 50mm thick, highest quality CNC‘d MDF chassis
- Plinth: Luxury 8 layers of painting and hand-polished finish or real-wood, satin-waxed veneer
- Phono Cables: Super shielded, semi-symmetrical, low-capacitance phono cables - purpose designed by Pro-Ject
- Feet: Height adjustable, aluminium machined, vibration absorbing feet
- Included accessories: 15V DC / 800 mA power supply, dust cover, Connect it E Phono RCA cable, felt mat
- Power consumption: 4.5 W max / 0.3 Watt standby
- Available Finishes: Available in Satin Waxed Walnut Veneer or Piano Gloss Black
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 460 x 150 x 340 mm lid closed
- Weight: 10 kg
- Made in Europe
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 Years
Note: All Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE.